Friday, February 24, 2017

Gout Diet Sheet comparison

What is the best diet for gout? well if you look up different websites each one says something different, while some will say that mushrooms are bad another says you can have that in moderation and another will say that it is good for you. Confused, of course you will be, so was I.

I stayed gout free for very close to 2 years (read here how) but I lost control of my diet, ignored all of my rules and before I knew it I had a gout flare up once again. So this time, sitting with my feet up. I set out doing what I had left incomplete the last time I had an attack. I decided to compile data from a few websites and see the tally of what's good or bad to consume. I took 7 websites, names of which are mentioned below of what was good, bad or to be had in moderation. Some of them have generic mentions and I have tried as far as possible to avoid those and I have used the specific mentions only, if that was good or bad.

WARNING 


Before I go on with the details of my research, I have to say that the best judge of what diet works will be the person suffering itself. You have to identify what is the food that affects you the most and make sure that you avoid or really moderate them. In my case, it's shellfish that does it and going for a seafood buffet on Valentine's day was not such a good idea after all, but I guess if I had not gone for it you would not have had these results. Another reminder, especially if you are new to gout would be to consult a doctor and then decide what's best for you.

HOW TO READ THE CHARTS


Based on reading the websites and what is said in each of these I have divided them as
# VERY GOOD # GOOD # OK / NOT SURE / MODERATION # BAD # VERY BAD  along with numbers inside each colour. The explanations of which are given below and the color codes stay the same in each image

# VERY GOOD - highly recommended to have / very good to reduce uric acid
# GOOD - recommended to have / does not harm you
# OK / NOT SURE / MODERATION - this is where the explanation on the websites are either not clear or they say that can be had in moderation, some even mention the amounts that one can have.
# BAD - not good for your uric acid levels
# VERY BAD - this is a definitely avoid list


The number on the charts indicate the number of websites that has mentioned it.
examples - 
Anchovies has 6 websites that say very bad and 1 that says bad OR
Orange - has 1 of each which says a very good, good and have in moderation 

So 1 would mean that only 1 of the 7 websites referenced mentions it literally, therefore please do not take those results without understanding the overall impact as it could be wrong. A higher number like 4 or 5 definitely indicates that its either good or bad for you

Finally so that its easy to read I have exported them as separate units like alcohol, meat, vegs etc  

Image 1
Alcohol has been mentioned as all alcohol drinks in some and just alcohol in some and some have specified between beer and wine..

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Image 6

Image 7

 You could download these 7 images and print these as a reference if needed. If you want to have a look at the excel sheet where I made the compilation and maybe add a few of your own websites then leave your email id in the comments below and I will send it across to you.

The websites that I have referenced from -

Mayoclinic.org

Webmd.com

Familydoctor.org

Patient.info

Rapidhomeremedies.com

Healthline.com

Health24.com

Do let me know if this has helped you or if you have any of your own suggestions, let me know that I have not wasted my time with this also please share with others who you think it might help.








2 comments:

  1. Your article is very helpful. Every day your blog inspire me a lot and helped to develop something new like I have developed a new app : honeycrisp apple nutrition facts this is great and enjoyable. Thanks for the awesome posts, please keep updated regularly.

    ReplyDelete